Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Ultimate Banana Bread

I just became a follower of Two Cooks One Kitchen blog after I made their family recipe of Banana Bread!
I absolutely love Banana Bread and I am a firm believer that you must add nuts!  Walnuts, of course!
I've made a few loaves already and everyone is in agreement that this is the best Banana Bread!  That makes me very happy and I'm happy I found the recipe!  Thanks Tara and Dan!

Here is is straight from their blog to mine:

Mom's Banana Bread
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature  (I used 1/2 cup butter)
1 1/2 cup sugar  (I used only 1 cup sugar)
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas, approximately 3
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour (I used 1 cup four and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk you can also use milk soured with vinegar)
1/2 cup walnuts, optional  (NOT OPTIONAL :) !! )

Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Stir the dry ingredients in with the banana mixture. Slowly mix in the buttermilk. Fold in the walnuts if you like.

Bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees.

Muffins: Bake in greased tins for 20 minutes
Bread: Bake in 2 greased loaf tins for 1 hour
Mini-Loaf Bread: Bake in 4 greased mini-loaf tins for 30 minutes

Optional: Cinnamon Crunch Topping:
2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Stir together and sprinkle over the top of the batter before baking.

I thought maybe the optional cinamon crunch topping could be a little too much.  I love sweets, don't get me wrong, but I hate when a treat is over done.  But please, I really believe that this "optional" topping isn't an option.  It's a must!

No comments: