Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oatmeal Muffins

This is a recipe that my friend Laurie shared with me from Epicurious from the Gourmet February 2005 issue.
She's the director at Lite for Life in Los Gatos.  If you need help with achieving weight loss talk to her!  And visit her blog to see the results her clients are getting.  Great job Laurie!
She makes these all the time and now that I've made them, I can see why! They taste like buttery biscuits with a hint of sweetness. Yum, Yum, Yum!
It's a very easy recipe and quite healthy...minus the butter...you simply can't live without it, no matter how hard you try and if Laurie says its OK, then you're good to go :)

Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dried currants

In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk and let stand 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400°F. and butter twelve 1/2-cup muffin tins.
Add egg, sugar and butter to oat mixture, stirring until just combined.
Into another large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and add to oat mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in currants.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake muffins in middle of oven until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.



It took exactly 20 minutes for these to rise to perfection!  I used raisens instead of currants and loved it.  I'm sure you could just substitute a dried fruit of your choice.  This is the first time I've used buttermilk for anything!  What else can I use buttermilk for?  Any suggestions?


These muffins have already disappeared, so if I make 2 dozen I think that would do it with the milk!



5 comments:

PixieGrin said...

hey! those look great...why didn't i get one? ;)

p.s. LOVE that new signature..

Laurie Ward said...

Thanks for the shout outs! Regarding the butter, I can usually get away with cutting the amount in half. Sometimes I'll add plain yogurt, applesauce, or (when the season is right) canned pumpkin to make up the difference. All these serve to make the product nice and moist without the fat. Forgot to mention that, I guess!

Lauren Rose said...

OK thanks Laurie! I will try that next time I make these. I would actually suggest that, because now I think these maybe are.....too buttery in taste! Is that even possible you ask?! I know, but sometimes you can OD on a good thing :)
Thanks!

Laurie Ward said...

I love having extra buttermilk. You can make buttermilk biscuits (great for breakfast with eggs or to go with winter stew) and of course, buttermilk pancakes!! You should also try that pumpkin bread recipe I sent you. It calls for buttermilk, too.

Lauren Rose said...

Thanks Laurie! I'm going to make some biscuits soon....if you have a good recipe...send it over :)